Buried somewhere beneath the button-pushing gender politics and all-too-convenient plot twists in Gone Girl, there are some mildly interesting points being made about modern marriage. But after two and a half hours of soapy ridiculousness that wouldn’t be out of place on TV’s The Bold and the Beautiful, the movie just seems like cruel and unusual punishment.
- ABC 1-2-not-3
- The ABCs of Death 2Posted 17 hours ago
The ABCs of Death 2 moves quickly and most of it is ultimately very forgettable, but I still find myself drawn toward its desire to be different and truly artistic…
- Media darling
- Gyllenhaal outshines everything else in ‘Nightcrawler’Posted 21 hours ago
Rating: Minor Rock Fist Up Jake Gyllenhaal delivers an intense, magnetic performance that is the highlight of Nightcrawler, the directoral debut from writer Dan Gilroy. The film follows Gyllenhaal’s Louis Bloom,…
- The Two Faces of January
- Directorial Debut ‘The Two Faces of January’ a Solid StartPosted 2 days ago
The Two Faces of January brings three solid performances together to help a decent script turn into an hour and a half of quite entertaining film.
- Everybody Cut Loose
- Top 10 Wire-Cutting Bomb Moments in FilmPosted 4 days ago
It just doesn’t get much better than a film that takes a few minutes to ratchet up the tension via that classic struggle over which wire to cut so as…
- Formulaic 'St. Vincent'
- Formulaic ‘St. Vincent’ Skirts by on Actors’ CharmPosted 7 days ago
The effortless chemistry of Murray and Lieberher are the main reason that, even at its most clichéd, St. Vincent mostly works.