The Great Songs: The Kinks – Waterloo Sunset

by Eric Melin on March 31, 2010

in Columns,The Great Songs

Welcome the the second installment of our new weekly series The Great Songs. This week, I want to spotlight Ray Davies and The Kinks.

something else the kinksI saw Davies earlier this month (here’s my review for the Kansas City Star) and was struck by how humble, laid back, and amiable he was for a guy that has contributed so much to the world of rock. Some even people say that the chainsaw distortion on their early tunes helped invent heavy metal.

“Waterloo Sunset” is from 1967′s “Something Else,” and it just happens to be my favorite Kinks tune ever. It’s decidedly NOT heavy metal, but from a period when Ray’s songwriting was really hitting its diverse and creative peak.

Pete Townshend said this about Davies: “The Kinks were much more quintessentially English. I always think that Ray Davies should one day be Poet Laureate. He invented a new kind of poetry and a new kind of language for pop writing that influenced me from the very, very, very beginning.”

Enjoy.

Eric is the Editor-in-Chief of Scene-Stealers.com and writes the Screen Stealers column for The Pitch. He’s President of the KCFCC, and drummer for The Dead Girls and Ultimate Fakebook. He is also Air Guitar World Champion Mean Melin. Eric goes to 11. Follow him at:

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ YouTube

1 Randall March 31, 2010 at 7:29 am

God save the Kinks! Of all the British giants of the ’60s–the Beatles, the Stones, the Who–the Kinks are my favorite. They don’t often get the credit they deserve.

2 Randall March 31, 2010 at 7:29 am

3 Randall March 31, 2010 at 7:29 am

4 Kenny April 1, 2010 at 5:11 am

Couldn’t agree more this song speaks volumes every time I hear it. The Kinks are definitely one of the greatest and most disregarded bands ever! The late ’60s-70s period in popular music was so damn prolific, fervent and downright badass it’s a shame most people don’t acknowledge all the great music and artists during that time. It will surely never be imitated again in pop music.

5 Kenny April 1, 2010 at 5:11 am

6 Kenny April 1, 2010 at 5:11 am

7 jack duhamel January 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm

not a big fan of this song

- Jack Duhamel