1 Year, 100 Movies: An Introduction

by Trey Hock on June 12, 2010

in 1 Year, 100 Movies,Columns

My wife Jaime and I were discussing what to write about the other day. I suggested writing about movies or my daily life, but I wanted a bit more structure. When I mentioned that I had always wanted to watch the current AFI Top 100 Films list in order from 100 to 1, she said, “Write about that?”

100 years 100 movies afiSo here I am writing a new regular column for Scene-Sealers. (You can check out my personal blog here.)

I will watch all of the films on AFI’s 100 Years, 100 Movies list (the one from 2007) within one year.

I have recently reinvested in Netflix, and #100, “Ben Hur” is first.

The countdown begins.

I will try and post my blog entries within 24 hours of viewing each film. The postings may be critical, whimsical, or random. I intend on just writing about the film in whatever way feels natural, and hopefully begins the dialogue.

Now I understand that whenever you discuss a list of any kind there can be some heated debate. Know that I am not suggesting that the AFI Top 100 is the definitive list. It’s not the list to end all lists.

Still, the list is easily accessible, and all of the films on it are important, even if you disagree that they are “the greatest of all time.”

So join me for some, or all of this project. Watch films at your leisure or at the breakneck pace I intend. I think this will be a good time.

In addition to contributing to Scene-Stealers, Trey makes short films and teaches at the Kansas City Art Institute. Follow him here:

Facebook Twitter Google+

1 Xavier June 12, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I’ve still got a lot to see (although there’s a handful I never intend to) I’ve seen almost 1/2 of AFI’s top 100

2 Xavier June 12, 2010 at 9:12 pm

3 Xavier June 12, 2010 at 9:12 pm

4 Eric Melin June 13, 2010 at 9:18 am

I’ve seen almost all of them, but I like that Trey is not going to write about the ones he’s already seen. He’s actually going to rent #100-#1 and watch them all in a row. Yes! This will be fun.

5 Eric Melin June 13, 2010 at 9:18 am

6 Eric Melin June 13, 2010 at 9:18 am

7 Xavier June 13, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Then maybe he can get a movie deal where Amy Adams portrays his blogging and his journey through the hundred films?

8 Xavier June 13, 2010 at 9:15 pm

9 Xavier June 13, 2010 at 9:15 pm

10 Nessie June 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I’ve seen an entire 4, and I don’t remember Wizard of Oz and Toy Story, and Followship of the Ring left me bored for three hours (Beats the book because that left me board for 30 hours…let the riots begin), so that means I’ve enjoyed exactly one of them, which would 12 Angry Men.

Man, being 13 really stinks. Can’t watch anything rated R and PG-13s are looked upon with caution. Any advice for good, non-offensive, non-sexual, non-swearing, PG films with a little action? Preferably in this list?

I’m a sad person.

11 Nessie June 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I’m a sad person.

12 Nessie June 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I’m a sad person.

13 Trey June 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Nessie,

That’s tough. Try Raiders of the Lost Ark (or any of the first three Indiana Jones movies). Rocky’s a good story, but doesn’t have a lot of action even though it’s about boxing. ET, Star Wars, and Lawrence of Arabia are all safe bets.

14 Trey June 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm